This Saturday November 14th is World Diabetes Day and this year the International Diabetes Federation is promoting healthy living and starting each day right by having a healthy breakfast as its theme to combat this worldwide epidemic.
The campaign is being backed by all major health organisations to draw attention to the health issues attributed to Diabetes and to keep the disease firmly in the public spotlight.
I have always promoted a healthy breakfast, its so important to get your day off to the best possible start with a protein filled meal
If you are still having toast or cereal for breakfast then you are starting your day in a way that will see you hungry again a few hours later on a hormonal rollercoaster which results in your body storing fat rather than burning it!
A healthy breakfast should be a mix of good carbs, protein and fibre and it should keep you full through the morning.
And it’s not just what we eat that we should be more aware of, what you drink with your breakfast should be thought about carefully too.
You should be cutting out the fruit juice if that is your preferred drink as just a 150ml glass of unsweetened orange juice contains around 15g of carbohydrate and 13g of sugar.
I have recently launched my own cookbook with a choice of 30 breakfast recipes in so that everyone should be able to find something tasty and filling for breakfast!
Here is one of my breakfast recipes containing eggs and avocado, eggs are a wonderful source of protein and avocados are packed full of good healthy fats.
This breakfast is quick, easy and will fill you up until lunchtime no problem!
Baked Egg in Avocado Cups Serves 1
• 1 avocado • 2 eggs, beaten • Sea salt and black pepper • 1 tsp of coconut oil • Handful of chopped chives • Chilli flakes to your preference
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c
- Slice avocado in half and remove pip.
- Use a spoon to scoop out some of the avocado to make room for the egg. Place the avocado halves in a tin or oven safe bowl so they don't roll around. You can slice a little off the avocado to give it a flat base and make them more stable. Crack an egg into each avocado half. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and add a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Bake for 8-15 minutes depending how well done you like your eggs.
Sprinkle with chives and serve with a green salad
Let me know if you enjoy it and as always if you struggle with breakfast ideas then feel free to email me back and ask any questions.
PS: Coming next year, a Kick Start Fat Loss live weekly class, weigh in, talk and exercise all rolled into one! Plus some online options for those of you who aren't local to me. I will launch in January!